Art is a jealous mistress, and, if a man have a genius for painting, poetry, music, architecture, or philosophy, he makes a bad husband, and an ill provider. (Waldo Emerson)

Thursday, September 5, 2013

What I learned while painting Walt Whitman


Walt Whitman is finally finished. He has been for over a week now. I started another painting and this one is of Rudyard Kipling. Before I get into that however I was going to talk about my Walt painting. What I picked up, and need to remember.. 

The hardest part of this painting for me was his beard. I had no idea how I was going to put in the beard without going over board. To some I may have - to others it may be just right. But what I learned was I really don't have to do every hair in order to make it look right. I just need to make sure there are a few hairs that really stick out from the rest and go into a certain direction to lead your eyes. And that made it look really nice! I don't know if that made any sense... I hope it did. 

I think my favorite part of this painting is the buttons. I love the buttons! 

I was afraid I would have a hard time with the balance also. Because he was kinda off the painting a little with his shirt. So I decided to throw in the chair behind him and make that go off the painting as well. THEN I felt like there was too much space above his head... So I took a streak of dark in the background and made it go off into the corner hoping that it would all balance out a little more.. "I" feel that I accomplished balance. 

I always have to remember when I am painting because I will end up frustrated with what I am doing is that it is "just a romantic representation of the real thing". When I tell myself this, I tend to relax and little more and again enjoy myself. 

If you are new to this blog - I thank you for stopping by. Here is a link to previous entries on the painting before it was finished. Back Post of Walt Whitman Painting If you are a normal visitor I thank you even more! 

If you have not seen my fan page on facebook, please feel free to visit me there as well! If you have a page or blog you would like to share - please do! 

2 comments:

Lisa Graham Art said...

So nicely done Frankie! Truly a stunning portrait. Besides the beautiful white beard, I would have to say his expressive eyes are my favorite part. But I do like those buttons too!

Congratulations!

Frankie Stockman said...

Thank you Lisa! I do like the painting a lot. It is funny because when I was done I thought that I could have done much better. Much the longer it sits around and I look at it.. I do think I did a very nice job also. Thank you again! :) xo