First thing that I did was take an old steak knife and cut along the middle of the egg carton slots. I didn't worry about the flat part as much.. Just the part that is protruding out because its really hard to cut those with scissors. So here is one side.. then I flipped it around...
And I did the same thing going the other way. Um yea.. There is a little bit of egg on that one! Oh well. I will just keep moving forward.
Now that I have all the middles sliced out.. I took off the sides. So that just those middle little hills with the holes in them are remaining.
Then I used the scissors to cut them all out individually.
I was doing them alone and it was taking me a very long time so I recruited my eldest daughter to help me while she is home from college for the summer. Here she is rounding off the tops to make them look more like a petal. You could probably leave them just like this too if you wanted.
They are stacking up!
Time for the paint!
I painted them inside and out. I used a metallic copper color for the entire "flower". Then a gold for the rim of the petals. And last but not least I used a clear gold colored glitter paint to put on the inside for more shimmer.
Here they are drying. They were all on a plate and it actually looked like food! All the paint that I put on the cartons ended up stiffening the flowers so that made me happy. I thought they were going to be more fragile then they turned out to be.
Here is my hand after doing some painting. It looked like I was turning to copper slowly.
After a night of drying.. I slid them onto the lights! I was thinking about gluing them on.. but decided not to. Just slid them on. I had to use the scissors and cut little slits by the holes so they would fit on better.
They are pretty!
I like them.
First Time Orders FREE SHIPPING WITH CODE - FIRSTREP at checkout!
Live a Healthier Life! Starting Today!