Art is a jealous mistress, and, if a man have a genius for painting, poetry, music, architecture, or philosophy, he makes a bad husband, and an ill provider. (Waldo Emerson)

Friday, January 25, 2013

Letting go of expectations

Yesterday I spent some time drawing faces again. I drew three. The reason why I wanted to share them with you is because I learned something. I learned to let go of an "perfectionistic expectation" so that I could move forward without frustration. I am pretty sure I just made up that word perfectionistic but it sounded good to me! Anyways - here is the painting that I was looking at. A portrait of a young boy by Elizabeth Vigee LeBrun. There are many other names that she goes by on the net but I will share this one. Normally I don't like to share my art work if it doesn't turn out the way I wanted or if it doesn't look exactly like what I used as a reference. But in this case its exactly why I am sharing. My drawing did not turn out perfect. 


I tried to copy the boys face and this is what I ended up with. Looks nothing like him! Looks more like Ellen. But it doesn't even matter to me anymore. It doesn't matter because I "need" and "desire" to learn how to draw faces more than I need to be perfect right now. Normally I "need" to be perfect. The teachers will always tell you "Take it easy, this isn't your masterpiece . Yeah whatever I thought. It was always my masterpiece! But now I understand that saying. I get it now. Its not my masterpiece. I am working up to it. One day I will have a master piece that I will be known for! :) I am learning patients still after 38 years. :) I can do this. And I will. 
Right after I drew that one - I drew this girl - to your right. I was so happy! I didn't have a recourse. I just drew her. But if you go back and look at the previous ones a couple of days before - it is a big difference. I actually sat there and became over whelmed with my joy. I have been trying off and on but never actually felt like I could do it because I held on to "being perfect". Now I feel a huge weight off my shoulders as my drawings get better and better! I think this girl kinda looks like the girl from the painting by Botticelli (One of my favorite old masters) The birth of Venus. Maybe as a little girl?? Or is it just me? It could just be me! (laughing) It happens often! 

Either way I had such a great time with these drawings that I went ahead and decided to try my hand at a Leonardo drawing. It did not turn out like his drawing but I wasn't really trying all that hard either way! So I don't mind it. I didn't like the drawing the way it came out so I decided to take out some pan pastels and see if I could make it worse. 




And honestly I don't think I made it worse at all. I think I enhanced it. Today I am going at it again. I am going to get it and then I am going to start a painting. After my painting I am going to compare it to the last portrait that I did and you are going to see it too! I am excited. Its so much fun letting go and just allowing myself to learn finally! 

We are doing an art challenge in The Troubled Artist called Pick Your Master. You can go in and pick from any art master that you can think of challenge yourself to draw their painting or drawing. It is pretty much of the face however. So...  Either way it could be fun! Never know till you try.


XOXOXOX - Frankie 



If you enjoyed reading this then please take a second to click the G+ button on the bottom! I really appreciate it. :) Thank you! 


First Time Orders FREE SHIPPING WITH CODE - FIRSTREP at checkout!
Frankie's Avon Page
Live a Healthier Life! Starting Today!
GNLD Vitamins

No comments: