Art is a jealous mistress, and, if a man have a genius for painting, poetry, music, architecture, or philosophy, he makes a bad husband, and an ill provider. (Waldo Emerson)

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Mona Lisa




I was reading my art magazines today and I came across this interesting factoid about the Mona Lisa. It reads in "The Artist Magazine" :

Did you know there was a forced two year vacation from the Louvre that helped Mona Lisa achieve widespread fame? In 1911 a former employee stuck the portrait under his shirt and walked out. They found him in 1213 when he was trying to sell the painting to a dealer.   Now the most interesting part for me was the part where is says: "Meanwhile, people lined up to walk by the bar spot normally occupied by the Mona Lisa."  Wow. :) Here are a few more that I found around the net that made me say wow also. 

The Louvre build a room for this painting alone. And it cost them over 7 million dollars. There is even bullet proof glass in front of it. It is valued as priceless and that is why they went to such extremes. 

I never realized she did not have eyebrows but they think that maybe a long time ago a restoration went wrong and they ended up rubbing them out. Or perhaps Leo was just as lazy as they say he was and never finished her eyebrows. Maybe he forgot!? I remember in an art card I painted once of two blue whales.. Mommy and baby.. I was finished.. Gave it away and then realized.. I never painted in the eyes! So I can see it happening!

By the way.. Are any of you working on ACEO cards by chance? I need to do a few. I was looking around the kitchen for inspiration today. Maybe I will paint one of popcorn.. and another of a watermelon. Two of my favorites. Also.. you might enjoy this blog that I came across today http://art.jerryandmartha.com/ Martha's art history blog. 




Live a Healthier Life! Starting Today!
GNLD Vitamins



I read this book a couple of months ago - and I encourage you to read it too! I loved it. :):) I found a new respect for the impressionist and learned something along the way. Manet is now one of my favorite aritist. The book even made me cry.. Twice!

5 comments:

DebbieLynne said...

Sorry for being a pain, but I still can't read it. You need a lighter font to contrast the dark background. Maybe a gold...?

Hope to actually read your blog soon!

Frankie said...

hahah.. Oh my goodness. You are a pain! I am kidding. I will try the gold. ;):) Just for you Miss Debbie. ;) XO!

Frankie said...

How about that color? Is that easier to read? I like the font.. You are okay with the font right? I figured it was cursive and that is pretty easy to read. I just am so tired of the basic fonts. :) I really want something different for a while. Till I get sick of this. hahaha. Anyways.. Hope you can read it Miss Debbie! XOXOXOXOXOXOXO Let me know.

Made By Tammy said...

I always love reading your Blog! You are so funny! ACEOs are great. I always have one or two that I'm working on.

Frankie said...

I would like to see your cards Tammy! Maybe we can do a trade sometime? I have only ever traded with my close friend but I can venture out.. I know she will not mind. ;)