Art is a jealous mistress, and, if a man have a genius for painting, poetry, music, architecture, or philosophy, he makes a bad husband, and an ill provider. (Waldo Emerson)

Friday, May 20, 2011

Have you ever wanted to be "immortalized"? I was reading this article about how its natural for people to wish to leave some form of a legacy after their death or something of value by which to be remembered. One way is to be a hero. Another is to murder a million people! Those are just two. But the one of course that I want to talk about is Art. Art is a pretty good way to leave a legacy right? An artist's work lengthens the artists whole existence! Vincent Van Gogh and Rembrandt painted many portraits of themselves through out their lives. And those portraits are still with us today. Other artists painted themselves in crowds. Just for an example:
Do you see the man standing in the right hand corner looking at us? That is Botticelli. He put his own self in this iconic scene. Guess its good to be an artist! You get to go and be where ever you want no matter when it happened. But even if an artist does not paint themselves, it seems like all they have to do is make sure they sign their name in the corner and hope that painting and the others live long enough for someone to either write about it or take a couple pictures of it and spread it around. I guess that is why so many artists want to be "shocking". Kinda like the guy who puts paint up his rear and then releases it onto the canvas! That is a sure way to get people to talk about it!

But what if you are not a painter etc? You could hire an artist to paint you? Right? Or maybe you can have a baby! A lot of people consider their children their best works of art. I know I do! My kids are my masterpieces by far. Nothing will ever compare to them. And of course I will live in them with my teachings. Wow. That is some weight though. Hahaha... Such a responsibility. This is kinda off the subject but it made me think of something I read. It made me laugh - Dante asks how is it that Giotto's children are so homely but his paintings are so beautiful -
In reply Giotto said that he paints his painting in the daylight but reproduces in the dark. I thought that was actually kinda funny. It makes sense! So I guess with that I will go. I happened to be thinking about this and wanted to share it. Sorry if my writing is choppy and kinda skipping around. I hope you all have a great weekend and be safe and happy! TTYS!
XOXOXO
-Frankie
Here are some art books you might be interested in.





Masters: Collage: Major Works by Leading ArtistsLiving the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspiration from Working Artists
1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations (1000 Series)
How to Draw What You See (Practical Art Books)


First Time Orders FREE SHIPPING!

Frankie's Avon Page
Live a Healthier Life! Starting Today!
GNLD Vitamins

3 comments:

walter said...

Well I don't know about leaving a legacy...but I did yank out a bunch of my hair and buried it in a beautiful spot in Bermuda because I had to leave but wanted to leave some of me there... :-)

Frankie said...

Walter!! Did you really!? That made me laugh even if its true.

ArtMuse Dog and Carol said...

Neat post ~ very informative and thought provoking ~ I am hoping you are painting also ~ ^_^