Art is a jealous mistress, and, if a man have a genius for painting, poetry, music, architecture, or philosophy, he makes a bad husband, and an ill provider. (Waldo Emerson)

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Being Appreciated.

Being the artist that you are, I am sure you get told a lot from others how talented you are and how they always want you to create for them. Makes you feel pretty good right? Sure it does. Well I have had this situation where I have been told this a few times and so I have given my art work out before. Later, I have gone back to their homes and I looked around and my artwork: NO WHERE to be found. Where is it? Where did it go? Who has it? I thought you wanted it? Regardless of what they may or may not understand, I put my heart into everything that I do. I am a very "serious" painter. I am not relaxed or layed back at all!  But that is for another blog...     So anyways, yesterday - I went over to a friends house that I have not seen in a couple of months. I sat down on her couch and there right before me was the print that I had given her for Christmas. 

She had it framed - glassed - everything! It looks so pretty! I couldn't help it. My heart jumped for joy! I think I could have cried if I let it go far enough. Then on my way home I started to think about things. It made me feel closer to her for some reason. It made me feel appreciated. You know what else? She did not even ask me for that. I gave it to her because I knew she loved animals. She went out and had it "custom framed" even.  So I now know that she will get more art from me. Not anything that I would expect her to pay for but for her to just have because I want to show her that I appreciate her right back.      

Anyways... My point to this blog is this... I love it when my art is appreciated. It makes me love being the creature that I am.  

ALSO:

Being an artist - our art is such a personal thing. And because of that unfortunately its hard to ignore any kind of critical comments. I did receive one that I actually do know of and it did not bother me.. I was told that my oceans are "boring" and "too basic". I actually laughed. You really have to consider where the comments are coming from. Now if an art critic said it - I might care... 

XO XO XO XO 
LOVE IS LOVE


First Time Orders FREE! Frankie's Avon Page
Live a Healthier Life! Starting Today!
GNLD Vitamins

2 comments:

Wee Spookeez Design said...

You're the creature that you are! That's for sure! You have me thinking, I've had so many freinds and family tell me on Facebook, "Hey remember that drawing you did for me way back when...I still have it!" Of course, I have no real memory of what they're talking about, but it always makes me feel good that I made someones day once a long time ago, just by blasting out some drawing for them. I guess as artists, It's easy to lose track of the fact that the majority of people out there can't do what you do....therefore, they're usually very impressed whenever you do it. It's a nice to feel appreciated like that.

Kristen said...

I agree with Dean- it's nice to be appreciated. I've done drawings for friends before and it's such a heart felt gift... I would totally be hurt if they didn't care about it. I have gone into people's homes I haven't seen in forever and saw my drawings hung up on the wall. It's a really cool feeling. And it's funny when people on here try to be critics... it's like "ummm how bout YOU go try to paint an ocean?" it's not as easy as it looks... and I agree with you about being a serious painter. I try to have it be fun and relaxing but it's like intense focus and concentration!

P.S. that drawing is AMAZING- so precious and detailed- just lovely. good job frankie and great post!